Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Once in a blue moose

Yesterday I feel like I finally had the Alaskan experience, I saw two moose! They were both when I was on my 35 mile bike ride (ahhh). The first one I saw was a bull and it came charging through the woods next to the bike path. Moments later it was followed by this tiny little yipping dog, which was somewhat comical. The next one made me slam on the brakes because it was in the middle of the path. I hadn't notice it at first because I was too absorbed with the scenery. This one was a female and It didn't seem bothered by me, basically ignored my existence completely and I cautiously rode by it. At one point I was at most five feet from it. SO AWESOME. 
Other places I went in my bike ride: the salmon fish hatchery, where I learned how the fish are raise from eggs and then released into the streams for game fishing and food. I also learned how to gut a salmon with a clever computer simulation. 
I also got hopelessly lost trying to follow some seemingly strange directions. But I did end up biking 35 miles and did not think I was going to make it back I was so exhausted. 
For dinner I met up with someone that I met hiking the day before and we went to the glacier brewing company and then took a quick trip to REI. On the way back we had some struggles with the bus schedules and routes again, but overall it was a marvelous day. 
Today I check out of my hostel and Katie comes to pick up at four and then we travel to Seward to start the internship!!
small airport

me and a mountain on the costal trail


My hostel

halfway through the bike ride. Trying to get a pic of me and the distant mountain... didn't work

No comments:

Post a Comment