Monday, February 21, 2011

aaaand its winter again

After our brief bout of spring weather Michigan has yet again dumped another blizzard on us. It was a little shocking because I hadn't expected it at all, but at the same time I'm not upset because this weekend I am going snowboarding at Shanty Creek. As the snow was pouring down, me and my roommate decided it was a good idea to tramp through the snow to go ice skating! I'm a little rusty on skates and even fell once when i was trying to do a cool spiny-stop move, but it was still tons of fun.
This weekend was filled with outdoor adventures. Friday was the overnight rock climbing event at planet rock in ann arbor. We got there at around 10 pm and climbed until around 2:30 or 3 in the morning. Today, my arms and legs are killing me. but it was so worth it. There was a slackline set up across the gym as well so people started trying that out when they were too wiped out to climb anymore. Also, an impromptu dodgeball tournament started around 3:30 in the morning, at this point I was too exhausted to move, and after two games I just sat and watched everyone get pelted with dodgeballs.
Sleeping there was quite the production. I tried to find a place to set up my hammock but there really wasnt a good place to do it. so we dragged a couple of bouldering mats in a corner and set up camp there. I can understand how these mats would be good to have if falling from a high distance, but sleeping on them really was just awful. They were quite lumpy and smelled kind of weird. I did only end up getting 2 hours of sleep anyway, because the people who were still awake decided it was a good idea to sing various disney songs as loud as they could.
The next morning I had to work at eleven and I nearly fell asleep on the way there. We had a little squirrel today that had a bad infection in his foot. So we had to make a small incision and squeeze the pus out. And it seemed like this squirrel was synthesizing pus as we were draining it because it went on FOREVER. I don't even know where it all fit in his little arm. One of the owls that came in the other day had to be euthenized because it was completely blind in both of his eyes. So Max came in with the body of this small owl and showed us how to find the different bones in the body and how to tell if there are fractures. I felt kind of horrible using this little dead owl for my own benefit and sometimes when you moved or picked it up its head would move so it looked like it was alive. It was slightly unnerving. He was such a pretty bird. And it let me look at him up close without having to worry about the talons. His feathers were downy soft and he looked like he still could have been alive. His body will be sent to the UofM biology lab for research.

No comments:

Post a Comment